Sunday, August 15, 2010
10 Tips to "Tarawee" it with your Kids!
1) Bring a sippy cup or bottle dedicated to Tarawee. This way your child will not try to drink from other cups when you are not looking.
2) Bring snacks; even if it means breaking routine. Some suggestions are: raisins, brown rice crackers or Mum Mum biscuits. Something for your little one to munch on whiles he/she observes.
3) Pack never seen before toys and books; strictly reserved for Tarawee. Make sure not to use these at any other time.
4) Take an empty water bottle. Why? Your child will want one after seeing the rest of the children with these (my guess is that there are several left over after iftaar) If you take your own, you can prevent baby/toddler from swapping spit whilst sharing these with ALL the children- on another note, I was surprised how long this keeps children entertained!
5) Make sure baby or toddler are wearing comfortable clothing; it can get pretty warm with all the people around.
6) Breastfeed or bottle-feed before you get there; chances are your child will be over stimulated once your there and later on this may result in a fussy hungry baby.
7) Bring a friend (for yourself). If the kids get out of hand, you can take turns praying. Both of you can benefit and your children will be comfortable with a familiar adult.
8) Take the car seat; you can switch between this and holding baby during salaat and if baby falls asleep you will have somewhere familiar for them to sleep.
9) Try and pray at the same Masjid. Your children will be comfortable with the environment and will most likely see the same children while they are there and Tarawee will Inshallah eventually become familiar to them. There are a couple of Kid friendly Masjids, Isna has a separate mothers room and Al Huda offers a separate section for Mothers.
10) Do not over exert your child or yourself. Be practical and pay attention to your child's needs. Stay for a few rakaat and keep in mind that you may not be able to stay for the entire time. All involved may need a rest before the next Tarawee adventure.